Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The fishing is free but the funeral is going to cost you

It was a nice day today so I thought I'd go for a stroll. Since I work in a busy traffic area I decided, as gruesome as it sounds, to walk around the cemetery behind my office. After all, what's wrong with that? Put on a sad face and fit right in.

Generally speaking I don't hang around cemeteries a lot unless it's mandatory attendance. Then I usually get in and get right out again. I realized today that perhaps I had been missing an opportunity.

It's never crossed my mind that many cemeteries have lakes and ponds. My light bulb flickered to life as I stood next to some pretty nice looking water. Of course I would have to ask permission, but the worst they could say is no...or try to sell me a funeral plan.

I walked into the office scraping together all the decorum I could muster under the circumstances. I'm sure this request was going to be a first. A ghoulish looking man (why are they always ghoulish looking?) approached me and in a gentle voice asked if he could help me. Feeling like I was 6 years old again, I shyly asked whether it was permitted to fish in the lake and promising that if it wasn't, that was okay.

The man motioned me to his office and ordered me to sit down. I figured the wraith of God was going to strike me dead on the spot for making such a unholy request.  When I looked up from the floor I saw the man staring in the corner of his office.  Following his gaze, I saw several spinning rods and reels and other assorted gear with a sign that said $5 rod fee. The man, whose name was Mr. Black, (go figure) a smile the size of a fresh caught chunky bluegill told me that there were some real slab bass in there along with some nice gills. Perhaps he'd join me he said.

So, the next time I get the bug (get it?) to go fishing, I can go during my lunch hour.  Anyway, here are a few cemetery photos I thought you might enjoy since that's what we're talking about.  Keep smiling!









25 comments:

  1. Pretty nifty deal. You'll be carping in no time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, is there a dead joke in there?

      Delete
    2. Howard, do you remember what my dad does for a living? In my family, there's always a death joke hidden somewhere.

      Delete
    3. The first coroner I ever met looked like Lurch from the Addams Family. Actually I had forgotten what your dad did until you mentioned it. He's a handsome man in a ghoulish sort of way. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know if the word enjoy is correct, but I wander around them all the time. Nice, quiet setting and like some of your pictures, you never know what kind of grave stone you'll find.

    No ponds on the ones I visit though. I am looking for one with creek access. I think I finally found one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken my friend. That's a little creepy.

      Delete
  3. Next thing you'll be telling us is that you're fishing on golf courses ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac, I don't know about back there, but golf courses aren't near as welcoming as cemeteries here.

      Delete
    2. You can sneak a telescopic rod on but at most can only get a few casts.

      People that are playing golf think just because they paid a princely sum to play that have the right to play and trump my attempt to stuff as much activity into my day as possible. The nerve of some people. :)

      Delete
  4. howard , i'm always smiling when i read your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Anonymous! I smile when I read comments like this. Come back often!

      Delete
  5. i come every day ... i come every day ... even if i don t comment , but i can tell you that i always smile and laugh very often :-)
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again,Anonymous...you're check is in the mail.

      Delete
  6. I have to hand it to you, Howard, not sure I could have mustered the nerve to ask to fish. However, since you did, might be fun to join you one day for an hour of fishing. Kind of like, two ol' guys getting psyched up for the big one some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, it doesn't really take a lot of nerve. When you've spent your career in law enforcement you've dealt with anything that has to do with nerves. Come on out!

      Delete
  7. Lunch time fishing is the best and as you know, the old saying goes; "Time spent fishing is not subtracted from your lifetime." That should make you feel even better, given your surroundings or rather who you are surrounded by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, I always like when you comment because you give me multiple responses and let me pick the one I like best. I don't mind the surroundings, but some of the who I'm surrounded by creep me a little.

      Delete
  8. Howard ~ I seriously need to get out there soon and take you fishing. = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily don't laugh I'm thinking of setting up a graveyard guide service.

      Delete
  9. It's always fun when I stop by.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun when you stop by Mark. I'm even saving bottles of Powerbait in case you ever come out to Colorado.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've said it lately, come to think of it I don't think I've said it at all. I sure do enjoy your writing. For someone that tries to pass themselves off as being a bit on the grumpier side of life you sure have a witty pen (or in this case, computer keys). Keep it up Howard. Love your story telling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam, come to Colorado...I love you. You are very kind and I appreciate when you stop by. But, I am grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howard
    What you will come up with next???? I really enjoy your post because the they always gives me a smile. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, thanks so much. I guess I'm figuring out that maybe until I get out fishing that the least I can do is try to entertain the folks that stop by. I really appreciate you and everyone that stops by to see what kind of insanity I'm up to...maybe even getting out and fishing once in a while.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.